Sunday, October 18, 2009

Boston Day 1-I don't to Weather

And for that mater.. I don't do red eye plane flights either (which I may have forgotten when I booked this trip).. we arrived in Boston after a 5 hour overnight flight. It seemed like a fabulous idea in my head.. things always seem to go much better in there!

We actually arrived in Boston ahead of schedule at 7am... a little tired…it started to rain…and we're homeless for a couple hours with all our luggage (while our vacation rental apartment was being spruced up). After our very first ride on the T, a nice subway attendant took pity on us,told us where to go for breakfast, and then since we look dazed and confused after walking out the door followed us out, and pointed out the place again.. As we tried to go further down the street to use the crosswalk she exclaimed.. “Where are you girls from New York or something.. here and Boston we just walk accross the street” And she boldly walked in the middle of on coming traffic and posed as our personal crossing guard. Apparently no ones heard of jaywalking and pedestrian traffic receives all sorts of preferential treatment in these parts. Already what is not to love about this place!

Sanctuary was found in the Prudential Mall and I made myself right at home on a park bench. .. yes it’s true.. I can now say I have actually slept on a park bench (and it is fully documented.. by my so called friends :)) ….dont' judge me...rolling all my belongings with me over cobbled stoned and puddle streets for hours is hard work
Me-mastering the art of Homelessness

You could immediately tell we were not equipped with necessary accoutrements to make this weather thing work.. Hello.. We’re from San Diego.. We DON’T Do Weather! Among the 4 of us we didn’t even have a decent umbrella that could withstand the wind. It had started a torrential down pour by the time that we needed to leave the Pru to get to our apartment, basically everything was soaked, and we were pulling our suitcases on this perilous journey to safety. We had just had a lesson on the pioneers in church the other week.. and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of awe for those amazing people.. I can’t even pull a 50lb suitcase ½ a mile without complaining… seriously I’m sure they are appalled. The Arrival in Boston.. Homeless ... and Very Colorful

In the space of about 5 hours we went from rags to riches as we arrived at our penthouse apartment, which turned out to be the most fabulous idea.. (I even thoguth so after I made it up 3 very narrow and crooked flights of stairs with my luggage) it was like actually living in Boston.. or at least very convincing pretending.. full kitchen, dining room, living room, library, two bedrooms.. and even a neighborhood black cat.. pay close attention to what I am holding in this picture! One Day Later-In front of our Penthouse Appartment

After getting the luggage situated we met up with our fellow Bostonian traveler (Jake-he was in town for a couple days checking out elitist grad schools) and went on a duck tour of Boston. The transportation was pretty fabulous in its own right.. you can not go wrong with a real life transformer. If you haven’t heard of them before they are ex WWII land/sea vehicles-Look them up!. Ours was very appropriately bright pink.

That night we were off to Fenway Park the home of the famous Boston Red Socks. For avid baseball fans this might be a dream come true.. Although that’s not me.. I must say it was pretty great… but after not sleeping for a whole night.. I might have dozed off a couple times…it’s pretty much sacrilegious I can’t remember who won right? Hmmm... so how 'bout them Red Socks

1 comment:

Allison said...

Love it! I am sooo jealous. Boston is by far one of my favorites. You ladies all look fabulous.

PS, I heard a rumor about you. We must discuss your future "plans." I am SO excited for you!!