Monday, June 2, 2008

Cupcake Bliss




So Designer Cupcakes have been all the rage lately.. so much so that I even named my wireless network Cupcake (how’s that for super cutesie?!)…if you haven’t heard about the cupcake craze.. it’s time to get educated.

But for all those that could care less…the cliff notes version: there have been know to be Bakeries in swanky places like Beverly Hills (Sprinkles) and New York City (Magnolia Bakery) were you can get ONE normal small size cupcake for $3.00 or more.. I know I thought it was insane too. Yes I admit I have fallen prey to these places…I have been to Magnolia Bakery and the cupcakes really are good.. I don’t know about 3 dollars good.. but you’re also paying a premium for the designer reputation and bragging rights… so I'd like to think that evens it out?

Well I volunteered to make the dessert for my friend Lisa’s Bridal Shower BBQ (That’s all the rage now too.. j/k). And I decided to spoil my friends and went all out at Williams Sonoma which has the “Sprinkles” Cupcake Mix.. which is like $14 a box (personally I think they spend a lot of that on the sleek packaging which is a cylinder, not a flimsy cardstock box like normal cake mixes… See above picture comparison and tell me what you think). I did my decorative frosting job on these babies and even frosting monogrammed them for the Bride to Be. (Ya I know I went a bit overboard)

And to that end I had a lot of extra frosting... so bright idea...why not make some more cupcakes for Break the Fast tomorrow for church (Break the Fast is a potluck type get together right after church on the first Sunday of each month). Well I wasn’t about bake designer cupcakes for a potluck free for all (Each bite of a Designer Cupcake has to be savored!) so I made the normal cake mix variety but I decorated them almost identical to the cupcakes for the bridal shower sans the monogramming. My roommate (who saw me bake the bridal shower batch but never actually saw me make the imposter batch) was convinced that these were the real deal (until she actually ate one.. she is a dessert conisuier) and she ended up telling some of her friends that these were the famous Sprinkles brand best cupcakes ever... which was awesome... they were gone in millisecond. … behold the amazing power of branding or some really fancy frosting.

And that is how I spent my weekend in Cupcake Bliss

2 comments:

lisa c. said...

And i appreciate the time and consideration you showed in making those cupcakes, designer brand and all!

Lambini said...

Hey~

So Your cupcakes look delicious. The one's at magnolia's here in ny are not all the rave, I would venture to say that Sugar Sweet Sunshine coming in at $1.50 a pop are much better than the starky $2.00 mags, the frosting isn't as sweet and the cakey part is less dense too. That's just what I have decided over many setttings. HA! imagine. I am sure the shower cupcakes were huge competitors and your decorating skills. go you!!
k