Sunday, June 1, 2008

Shorebird... Come in Shorebird (Hawaii 8)


A little background: previously in the week, Lisa had dubbed herself the “Scandinavian Pepper” because she is so fair (most likely of Scandinavian decent some where down the line) and she had gotten a little sunburned on one of our excursions. I think I nicknamed myself the Hawaiian Turtle.. because Pam was saying something about how I had been pretty low key, go with the flow, on the trip (which I some how translated into slow and steady hence the turtle reference). I think I called Pam the Pink Flamingo because she had gotten a little sun as well and there were Flamingos at our hotel wondering around, must have had them on the brain.. Do I have to have coherent thoughts on vacation?.. anyhow we all had these funny nicknames by the end of the trip.

I don’t know if I can appropriately convey this on blog format and it might be one of those things where you had to be there.. so maybe this is just to preserve my memory of it.. so bear with me

One night we called for reservations at the Shorebird restaurant. (I feel like I keep mentioning food.. apparently we did a lot of eating.. I definitely feel my clothes a little tighter). Some how the name of the restaurant coupled with our nicknames struck a funny bone while Lisa called for reservations. It sort of felt like we were in a old black a white spy movie where we would be the spy taking in code. I could just imagine a Humphry Bogart type voice saying.. Shorebird.. come in ShoreBird.. this is the Scandinavian Pepper…. The Pink Flamingo and the Hawaiian Turtle have landed .. oh and can you get us a table with a view.. and make it snappy. Poor Lisa was trying not to laugh as she tried to get the reservation out while Pam and I were trying out our best impersonations of our spy voices…Shorebird.. come in Shorebird.

Aren’t we all still kids at heart.. I won’t tell if you won’t

1 comment:

lisa c. said...

I'm just glad we got the view and there were no questions asked! Apparently we did a good job of not tipping the waiter off that we were spies!
scandinavian pepper