So I have a virtual fax line for my consulting work. If you are unfamiliar with this concept.. your faxes go through your email and are saved there until you decide to delete them. If any of you have a need for such a thing it is marvelous.. not to have to get up from your desk to fax... priceless!
Today I got a mysterious fax …. I usually don't get random faxes.. and of all things it was a order form for a raffle tickets?.. Obviously this was a case of mistaken identity or mistaken fax number.. but now I have all this unsuspecting persons credit card info including their name, billing address and even... the security code on the back of the card...Big Oops...(hmmm...if only I knew their limits.. just kidding:)
So 2 thoughts sprang to mind:
1. Wouldn't it be interesting if this was some sort of psychological honesty test.. you get someone else's credit card info on accident.. do you go on a shopping spree?.. do you try to contact them?... do you do absolutely nothing and go on with your day? I now am very curious about how the percentages would turn out? I like to think I live in a bubble of fairly honest people... so I wonder what it's really like out there in the REAL world. Maybe I should take a poll.. or test this out?
2. Makes me wonder how much confidential information gets into the hands of the common person by mistake... seriously with the slip of one digit on the fax machine or one mistaken email click you could get into some serious trouble.... how much of my information could be floating around? Scary thought!
Well I did what any responsible person would do... I sent a fax back letting them know they'd mistakenly sent it to me.. If I got a fax like that I think I'd cancel that card and change my name...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment