Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wicked LA (Part 1)

So last weekend I went to see the Broadway Musical Sensation WICKED the untold (until recently) story of OZ and Wicked Witch of the West. We had had our tickets for months (we had one failed attempt to go in which we were trying to get tickets only a couple days before the show where I’m sure we would have needed binoculars to see. Needless to say no one was too upset that didn’t work out) and so we had been eagerly awaiting this day. This was an all girls trip (4 of us: Cassie, Lisa, Pam and I) so we decided to make a whole day of it.. go up to Hollywood a little early, grab lunch, see the show, head to Downtown Disney, grab some dinner and then head home.

Lisa and I flipped a coin to see who would drive (We’re making Pam drive in Hawaii so she is off the hook) and I was crowned the chauffer of the event. We definitely got more than we bargained for. Downtown Hollywood.. ummmm…not really for the faint of heart. One of many reasons: apparently there are hardly any protected left hand turn signals on the road up there which wouldn’t be such a problem except for the extremely heavy traffic.. it is customary to turn left on a yellow/red light.. oh boy..that was two whole moments of pure anxiety that I really wouldn’t care to repeat.. I seriously thought about closing my eyes through it.. honestly I don’t think that would have been more dangerous.

After we made it through the gauntlet that is Hollywood and made our way to a small pizza parlor close to the theater we were also able to witness an actual protest.. of all things protesting Scientology? What the? People wearing plastic masks carrying signs with things like “How many people must die?". I don’t think these people could inspire me to join their crusade against anything. Pam made a interesting comment that she always wondered what people that are not members of the LDS Church must think about the protests in front of General Conference in Salt Lake and then she said.. they must think what we’re thinking now.. whatever.. and go along eating their lunch.

PS.. WICKED was amazing as everyone said it would be!

No comments: