So I also read about the Aloha Swap Meet in my guide book. Now the swap meet is only open on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. And I’m just going to assume that Saturday and Sunday are better days to go since my guide book, which usually didn't stear us in the wrong direction, put it in the top 16 things to do in Oahu…. But since there is no shopping on Sunday for us LDS church going folk.. and we were arriving and leaving on Saturdays that wasn’t going to work either.. that only left Wednesday.
I thought (based on the suggestion of the guide book) that this might be a cool and inexpensive way to get our souvenirs and gifts to bring back to the mainland… guess my frugalness and constant quest for a deal.. got in the way of my better judgement.
I have been to one swap meet before.. so I had a better idea of how things go down at these kind of places.. but the Wednesday fare at this swap meet was slim pickins (all the good booths must have been at their day jobs). I must say though that this experience was priceless as I able to watch Pam and Lisa’s (Both were Swap Meet First Timers) reactions of bewilderment (sometimes mixed with a little repulsion) as we walked by “booths” (which usually consisted of a minivan packed to the gills with the random contents of someones garage sale castoffs). This was hilarious because it clearly brought me back to my first experience at the swap meet.. totally unprepared for the conglomeration of so much randomness.. so in a way I was really laughing at myself.
Pretty soon into our arrival we found the farmers market section. It may seem odd to buy your produce at the swap meet but we got some sweet corn to grill later that night.. and it actually wasn’t bad.
Above is a picture Pam and Lisa.. from the look in their eyes.. they appear to be thinking.. how did I let you talk me into this.. notice the minivan in the background.. proof I don't make these things up
I thought (based on the suggestion of the guide book) that this might be a cool and inexpensive way to get our souvenirs and gifts to bring back to the mainland… guess my frugalness and constant quest for a deal.. got in the way of my better judgement.
I have been to one swap meet before.. so I had a better idea of how things go down at these kind of places.. but the Wednesday fare at this swap meet was slim pickins (all the good booths must have been at their day jobs). I must say though that this experience was priceless as I able to watch Pam and Lisa’s (Both were Swap Meet First Timers) reactions of bewilderment (sometimes mixed with a little repulsion) as we walked by “booths” (which usually consisted of a minivan packed to the gills with the random contents of someones garage sale castoffs). This was hilarious because it clearly brought me back to my first experience at the swap meet.. totally unprepared for the conglomeration of so much randomness.. so in a way I was really laughing at myself.
Pretty soon into our arrival we found the farmers market section. It may seem odd to buy your produce at the swap meet but we got some sweet corn to grill later that night.. and it actually wasn’t bad.
Above is a picture Pam and Lisa.. from the look in their eyes.. they appear to be thinking.. how did I let you talk me into this.. notice the minivan in the background.. proof I don't make these things up

No comments:
Post a Comment