Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Whoa… Back in the Saddle (Hawaii 4)





So probably the one of the best things that we did that wasn’t a repeat for Pam (she’s been to Hawaii a couple times before) was our adventures in the saddle. I read in my guide book that there were places to go horseback riding on the beach up near Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore … it took about 2 seconds to get Pam and Lisa on board with this idea.

So as you notice I am wearing a helmet..safety first people, safety first.. Pam brought up a good point saying that she had spent the most time and money improving her brain and therefore it was her most valuable asset.. good point Pam.. that’s why they pay you the big bucks.. always thinking… well she sold Lisa and I with this very moving speech ….and there you have the helmets. Plus while reading the fine print of the liability waiver there was some reference to spontaneous explosions.. how a horse could do that I will never know.. that either must have been a hold back from a generic waiver.. or you just can’t be too careful?

Besides the safety factor.. don’t we look cute.. very authentic at least.

But we were the only ones on the ride of 15 or so people that even bothered with the helmets..so it made me think..what were these people saying about their most valuable asset? I guess it could be that this wasn’t their most valuable asset. What if you had to protect the part of your body that you had the most invested in? That would create some very interesting apparatuses I’m sure.. especially with the plastic surgery movement.

Anyhow.. we rode on the beach and through some tropical forresty type areas it was beautiful.. I wished I could have taken my horse Blackjack and have galloped along the beach.. but I don’t think the resort staff would have liked that too much.. in fact they strictly prohibit you from galloping on a group ride.. apparently it costs extra to "run free".

Jack and I got along extremely well except when he veered off course for a snack of some sweet grass. Our guide said that this type of grass was like candy to the horses and the area that we were going through was like candy land, so I can’t say that I blame him.


No comments: