Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweet Island Ride (Hawaii 2)


While in Hawaii we decided to rent a car for the entire week (we are girls not accustomed to the whims of public transportation). Apparently due to cargo constraints (I’ll have you know I kept it to one very large bag.. nevermind the beast of burden was precariously close to the airline weight limit and I nearly toppled over everytime I tried to lift it into a car) we had to request a full size vehicle which Enterprise Rent a Car defines as a Chevy Impala, Honda Accord or Equivalent…. and guess what...we got the “Equivalent”.. which in Hawaiian apparently translates to... the ever popular… Buick Lucerne..a car with maybe some public image issues but serious character. Candidly.. it needed a more distinguished grey haired gentleman driver to come along with it. Not exactly the kind of car you imagine yourself cruising around the island in, I must admit I did look longingly at the convertible mustangs but for the sake of the trip budget I didn’t look too longingly.


During some late night girlish laugh fest.. and since every car needs a proper name... it was dubbed King Kamehameha (sometimes referred to as The King) for the trip… please don’t ask me how that was picked.. I’m still not sure... I'm pretty sure I was delirious from eating too many chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

And even though we were in a sagging grandpa car (Seriously the car did sag.. and No offense to any of those super hip grandpa's out there)… we still were able to get some car flirting in. Yep it's true... we had a few guys in a BMW blowing us kisses on the Pali Hwy... and if I might commend us (in Pam style prose), “Well done Ladies, well done.’

The King served us well and I came to enjoy him... it doesn't take to long to cozy up to a car with seats three times your size, cruise control and a good radio.. and honestly how can you care too much about your car when you're in Hawaii. Above is a picture from his best angle and probably the raciest pic he’s ever been in.. Pam said he drove like a dream although we never were able to go above 45 mph… (guess the Mustang would have been a waste on some level?).. who knew that Hawaiian’s actually go the speed limit and like life in the slow lane.

No comments: